Clearly my ‘tomorrow’ didn’t mean tomorrow at all, but I have my reasons for delaying. To be honest, I missed all the deadlines for all the things planned last weekend and this week because I’m getting ready for my parents’ arrival – I haven’t seen them for two years!
Anyways, as promised, the Thai Green Veggie Soup.
As the name of this post suggests, this soup is great for weight loss because it’s really low in carbs and calories. A full bowl of this soup is only about 100-115 calories. But it’s full of nutritious vegetables, especially the everyone’s favourite broccoli (don’t even try telling me you don’t like broccoli – EVERYONE loves broccoli! lol). The soup is quite quick to make and very easy, too. Of course, I wouldn’t recommend eating this soup only for days or weeks to lose weight, because it is not sufficient enough in calories and nutrients, especially macronutrients, on its own. But it is an absolutely healthy addition to a healthy menu, and it is indeed a great recipe for detox days. Its taste is somewhat reminding of a Thai green curry, probably due to ginger and lime juice, although there’s no Thai green curry paste. Okay, here goes the recipe.
1 cup Coconut milk (you can use reduced fat)
900 ml Organic Vegetable stock
1 medium Onion, chopped
1 head Broccoli, florets trimmed
1 Zucchini, sliced
150 g Mushrooms, sliced
A small bunch of Asparagus tips
Baby Corn, sliced (optional)
1 Tbsp. minced Ginger
Juice of 1/2 Lime
Salt to taste
Cayenne or Szechuan pepper flakes to taste
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- In a pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and gently sauté onions until fragrant.
- Add ginger and the other vegetables, except broccoli. Stir-fry gently for a couple more minutes, until mushrooms seem semi-cooked.
- Add coconut milk and the veggie stock, bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the zucchini softens a bit.
- Add broccoli and simmer for about 3 more minutes. Broccoli should be bright green but not too cooked through and falling apart.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice and season with salt and spicy red pepper.
This soup is vegan, but can be made paleo by omitting baby corn.