I love cooking. Although I haven’t had very much of experience with it. It happened so that the most part of my life I’ve lived with my parents (obviously!) and for the last five years with my in-laws. Don’t be shocked! They have a big house, two entire floors are ours! 🙂 But when it comes to food, I don’t usually go near the stove, since we have very different tastes. And if I cook something, they probably wouldn’t eat it, not because I’m a terrible cook (which I am not!), but because they like their traditional meals and I like… something healthier! So usually if I have to cook anything, it’s for myself that I have to cook. But for the last almost two weeks they are gone to visit parents of their own, so I kind of rule in the kitchen now. And I love it! We had barbecue with friends last weekend (with a couple of healthy options for us girls, of course!) and this week we continue to be our own cooks. It’s so cool!
I said ‘cooks’ because my husband loves to cook too, and sometimes we do it together. But yesterday he was busy doing something else, and I had to cook everything by myself. For me it was a Fish & Green Veggies day (my favourite!), but he doesn’t eat fish, so I had to cook something different for him, and I decided to make him Chicken & Mushroom Patties. This recipe is very simple, low-cal (shh! my husband doesn’t know it!) and full of protein.
In this recipe you have three methods of cooking the patties. One is healthier than the others. Despite my husband being into bodybuilding, he is not much of a dieter. He just needs calories, a lot of calories, and it doesn’t matter to him, how the food is cooked. He hates junk food and sodas and all unhealthy things in general, but everything else seems to do. So since I was making the patties for him, I fried them. But they can be steam-cooked, lightly fried to obtain a golden crust and then baked until ready, or baked from the beginning. The healthiest way to cook is of course to steam them. This way 100 grams of patties contain about 105-110 kcals. The other ways (especially frying) add up calories.
Anyway, the recipe.
- 600 g Chicken fillets
- 1 medium Carrot
- 1 small Onion
- Mushrooms (can’t tell you how much exactly, you have to rely on your taste)
- Scallions or any herbs to your taste (I didn’t have any 😦 )
- Garlic to your taste
- Pepper and Salt to taste, other spices (I used Paprika)
- 2 Egg whites.
- Grate the carrot on a large grater. Dice the mushrooms into small pieces, finely chop the onion, scallions and chop garlic.
- Cut chicken fillets into thing strips and dice them, so you have small pieces. Alternatively, you can blend them in a food processor.
- Combine together all the ingredients, season with salt, pepper and spices. Add egg whites and combine well.
- Choose your method of cooking:
- To pan-fry: heat a little of olive oil in the skillet, then set the stove to medium-low. Take a spoon of the chicken mixture and put onto the skillet, forming it into a round patty with the spoon. Cook on one side until well set, so it won’t fall apart when you try to turn it. Then turn and let the other side to set. Keep frying, turning from time to time, until golden-brown and cooked through.
- To steam-cook: with a spoon put mixture into the steam cooker, giving it a round form if needed, and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- To bake: pre-heat oven to 200 C (400 F), coat a baking tray with a non-stick spray or line with foil. Put the mixture onto the tray, using a spoon. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn them the other side and cook for 10 more minutes. Keep baking until golden-brown and cooked through.