Turkey Steaks are an excellent alternative to red meat steaks, which although might be tasty, they are not always good for your health. Of course it all depends on how you cook them. If you grill a steak, it actually is better then a pan-fried steak. If you cook them with just a little of oil, they are healthier then too.
Personally, I am not a big fan of steaks. I’m not a big fan of any meat except poultry and fish at all. I can eat baked pork occasionally, or beef, but only if it’s in a soup or in a salad. So usually, when my family is having red meat for dinner, I have to cook something different for myself. And sometimes, when they are enjoying their steaks, I find myself craving for a steak too, but pork or beef steaks are a huge no-no for me. So, this is what I found to be tasty enough – turkey breasts marinated in yogurt. I have tried cooking turkey steaks before, but I used to marinate them in olive oil with spices such as black pepper and paprika. Now, having changed my eating habits a lot, I find them too fat or oily, while yogurt marinade is quite light.
- 4 turkey breast steaks
- 200 g plain yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon (or 1/2 lemon, depends on your taste for sourness)
- 1-2 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 1/2-1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2-1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2-1 tsp ground basil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Frying oil of your choice
- Rinse the turkey steaks thoroughly under cold running water, and pat dry.
- In a bowl, mix together lemon juice, yogurt, and spices.
- Put the turkey steaks in a zip-top bag, pour the marinade over it, zip the bag and give the steaks a good massage, evenly distributing the marinade. Refrigerate overnight.
The next day:
- Pour a little oil into the skillet. When it’s hot, add the turkey steaks and fry for 7 minutes each side, or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked.
- If you feel that the crust is getting too brown, but the turkey is still uncooked inside (happens when the slices are too thick), remove from the skillet, transfer on a microwaveable plate and microwave for 1-2 minutes. It should be cooked by then.
- Enjoy your steaks with a side dish of your choice.